Penmaenmawr Town Council

Cyngor Tref Penmaenmawr Town Council
Achieving more in partnership with our community

Fairtrade Council

Achieving more in partnership with our community

Q: How do I get access to put up a notice in a Town Council Notice board?

A: The simplest way is to email a copy to [email protected] Give plenty of time as sometimes it may take a few days to be put up. In Dwygyfylchi a key is available at the Chocolate Box. This board is managed by the community so please be respectful of other people's notices. If you intend to leave it up for some time lamination will help to preserve it.

Q: How do I raise an issue with the Council?

A: The first step is to explain the problem in as much detail as possible to a local Councillor, or write to the Council as a whole addressed to the Town Clerk. The matter will be placed on the Agenda for discussion at the next meeting – the Minutes will be published and you will be advised of the outcome.

Q: Can I attend a Council Meeting?

A: Members of the public are welcome to attend and they have a 10 minute opportunity to present their query/concerns to the Town Councillors who can then ask questions and deal with their concerns. Please note this is 10 minutes in total for any member of the public so if the Council receive two requests then they are allowed 5 minutes each. In accordance with good practice, any member of the public wishing to address the Town Council, must do so in writing (letter or email) at least 5 clear working days before the meeting so the Agenda can list the item within the statutory 72 hour notice period in the Town Council’s window.

Q: How do I become a Councillor ?

Elections are held every 4 years. The next election will be in May 2022, and if you would like to become a Councillor, you have to complete the necessary forms with Conwy County Borough Council and ensure that they are returned within the given period. Another way to become a Councillor is that if there is a vacancy due to a current Councillor resigning, then you could request to be co-opted to the Council. For this to take place, there must be a vacancy and of course you must apply in writing to the Clerk.

Q: Do Councillors get paid ?

A: No, however, Councillors may claim a one off payment of £150 per year. Expenses may also be reimbursed if a Councillor is requested to attend a meeting on behalf of the Council, but any travelling within the ward itself does not receive reimbursement.